Sunday, September 22, 2013

Balloon Party Redux!


As the first Fall Regionals of the season draws closer, the amount of testing that I've been doing has gone up. Since my finals have just finished (well, technically, it's over-I still have some tweaks to do and re-rendering and my "one week break" isn't really a break) I've had some time to rethink, re-test and re-play my Flareon deck. It's nice to step away from it for a bit and come back to it so I'm revisiting it with some more thoughts and insights.

Making the Case for Flareon

Observation 1: Flareon relies on Pokemon in the discard to hit what is known as the "magic numbers" or the OHKO's via it's first attack, Vengeance.

Conditions to help boost the damage output: Silver Bangle, LaserBank (Hypnotoxic Laser/Virbank) Deoxys EX

Observation 2: To make Plasma a more favorable match up, the deck needs certain techs to combat the speed.

Conditions to help the Plasma match up: Drifloon PLB, Driflblim DRX, Drifblim PLB, Enhanced Hammer.

Observation 3: To make the Blastoise match up more favorable, it needs a way to punish Energy commitment and big attackers

Conditions to help punishment: Leafeon PLF, Zoroark NXD, Garbodor

The list I'm testing currently has some really funky card choices but so far, it's somewhat improved my Darkrai matchup without having to sacrifice too much in the others.



23 Pokemon
x4 Eevee (PLF)
x4 Flareon (PLF)
x2 Leafeon (PLF)
x3 Drifloon (PLB)
x1 Drifblim (DRX)
x1 Drifblim (PLB)
x2 Trubbish (PLS)
x2 Garbodor (DRX)
x1 Audino (BCR)
x1 Sawk
x1 Zorua (DEX)
x1 Zoroark (BW/NXD)

T/S/S

11 Supporters
x4 Juniper
I'm not who I say I am...
x4 N
x2 Colress
x1 Random Receiver

17 Trainers
x4 Ultra Ball
x2 Float Stone
x2 Silver Bangle
x3 Pokemon Catcher
x2 Enhanced Hammer
x1 Super Rod
x1 Max Potion

x1 Tropical Beach

x1 Dousing Machine

Energy 9

x5 Fire Energy
x4 Double Colorless Energy


The second Leafeon is to better help my Blastoise match-up especially if one Leafeon goes down. the 1-1 Zoroak line might seem a bit odd but being able to threaten a return Night Spear or Black Balista is not something to be underestimated.

I've experimented between 3-1/2 and 3-1/1 so this is still in development as far as Drifblim. Running only a 1/1 Split has caused me to draw or only be able to fish for the wrong one in the match up, but also decreases the amount of dead cards in my deck against decks that don't run Special Energy.

The 5th basic energy, for me, is so clutch-running a 4/4 energy line makes me more leery and sometimes I miss critical Energy drops. So I've upped the Basic Energy count to fit more into my play habits.

I run one tech Beach and one Max Potion, though these cards are still in rough testing. If I ever felt the need to change up my supporter lines and run Bicycles, these cards along with Random Receiver will be dropped for the Bicycles. Beach was present in the original Dylan Brian list, but I have a feeling it was mostly because it gave a draw out under GothLock.

Dousing Machine over Computer Search? Sounds suspect, but considering Im running lower counts of certain Trainer cards and the fact I want some mid to late game room for key plus, I decided to opt for Dousing.

So far I've been testing alright with this list, but it's far from being perfected. There's still a little under a month left for playtesting but here's how far my thoughts on the deck have come.

Bicycle Away!

Kalyst

Images from Bulbaperdia (Zoroark image) and http://www.pixiv.com (Flareon image)

No comments:

Post a Comment